Save-A-Lot's Commitment to Sustainability Statement
At Save-A-Lot, we have a responsibility to identify and support initiatives that are environmentally-friendly, ranging from recycling programs to reducing energy usage in our stores, distribution centers and offices. As a company, we are working to reduce our carbon footprint and increase the type and quantity of content recycled.
Since Save-A-Lot opened its first store more than 40 years ago, our business model and philosophy have always been to operate efficiently, reduce excess and make productive use of our resources.
We are committed to environmental stewardship and sustainable operations and continually work to use energy more efficiently and reduce waste.
Some examples of Save-A-Lot's commitment to sustainability include:
- Carrying an carefully selected assortment of items in just one size promoting efficiency in production and shipping.
- Operating 17 distribution centers strategically located across the company allowing for shorter hauls and reducing fuel and energy costs.
- Installing energy efficient refrigeration and lighting controls in our distribution centers.
- Implementing paper, plastic, cardboard box and aluminum recycling programs.
- Merchandising product on pallets made from renewable resources and minimizing the need for additional fixtures in our stores.
- Encouraging customers to use alternatives to plastic bags such as reusable canvas totes.
- Preserving the resources of existing buildings and minimizing new construction by opening a majority of new stores in established buildings.
- Locating stores within walking distance of customers or near established public transportation routes of our customers.
- Building a green culture with our associates at our offices, stores and distribution centers.
- Committing to the procurement of locally grown produce in several distribution centers, reducing the impact of shipping product across the country.
We invite all our customers to join us in our commitment to protecting the environment through responsible use of our natural resources.